FOLLOWERS

Wednesday, January 14, 2026

The Unexpected Journey Home That Had Me Anchored.


The Unexpected Journey Home That Had Me Anchored

(BLOG IN progress) 

I went home to my Island in the Philippines last January 13th, 2026. I went home after 3.5 years away because my second sister had planned a wedding in Boracay on the 17th of that week. This portion of the article will focus more on the Cebu trip and all that happened within Cebu. I want to separate the Boracay events because it is more on family and it is a different kind of hit for me.


I arrived in Cebu on the 14th of January. The trip going there was so "adventurous" so to speak. Just think, 3 flights, 3 to 5 hour waiting times, Visas being approved 6 days before leaving, and paydays happening when you arrive, not including my emotional restraint and my new chill self not fighting for the window seat (yeah, think it over a bit).

Here is the Itinerary 😅

Itinerary Round Trip

👊


It was quite fun. Like an abrupt repetitive reminder of what flying feels like. I haven't flown in 2 years (last was my trip to Tasmania *insert Link here*).

TIPS:
What kept me awake for the Melbourne to Brisbane layover was unexpectedly talking to a friend in Japan, sharing a much-needed life update, The original plan was to edit some boogie board videos, but this works too.

The Brisbane trip wasn't that long of a wait. It was basically 8am to 11am. Alot of walking and exploring and charging of gadgets, and since it is international, things were more time sensitive like boarding and check ins.

NOW... Flying to CEBU. I tell you, was like riding on a time machine, ready to see the world you left. The almost 7-hour trip made it even more exciting and scary. On the way there I was greeted by a golden sea of clouds, as if time passed by and the sky moved with me.








👊

Then seeing for the first time the horizon of your hometown, questioning if this was the same shoreline as it seems more developed than the last time you were there. It gets confirmed as you see Iconic Buildings like SM Seaside saying Hello to you. And then you know.... YOU ARE HOME.




👊
The sunset, the heat, familiar sounds of jeepneys and native tongues, the sweat, the island breeze, all of these are all staple elements to know you are now home. Aahhhhh...



And to top it all off, a good old friend offers to pick you up, EVEN when he says he is a bit unwell. This is home for yah, the sweet kindness of friends. This was Ven the man.

👊


It was going to be Sinulog Festival by the 18th Sunday, I have anticipated missing it as I will be in Boracay. But the whole island celebrates it the whole week and good to see these Festivities when I arrived.





👊

This is where DAY 1 Starts ( Just half a day)

The one thing I have forgotten to anticipate was the Cebu City Traffic. It took me an my friend 3 hours to get to my Cebu house ( by motorcycle, its 40 minutes). But , this was enough time to catch up with my friend, and he cant stay longer as well as he is feeling under the weather. Along the drive we talked about how we were, hows our friends that we gained and some let go, And that we are now one year before 40, my plans here, his plans there.  the usuals. All in all very glad he was the first friend I saw and he was very chill about the traffic and bringing me home.


You then see your house where you grew up and it just feels so nostalgic and amazing, and the growth youve done makes it not scary anymore because the pst traumas have been processed while you were away, just good memories. 

Itinerary Round Trip
 

When I arrived, I expected more people which was my younger sister and her family, my eldest sister and her family, maybe my brother (he loves to explore so I only half expected him). But upon arriving, the house was about 20% occupied when I got there. My mom, Noemi (a familiar face) and Elna (a new one). 

I was happy to see my mom. I did see her a week before in Sydney but still, she was part of the blast to the past. My house, my room, my belongings that I have left but were in a stage of "can keep, can let go ". These items were books, toys, stones, some strings and beads and a few other things like pictures and keepsakes. All contained in 4 boxes supposedly,   

I tell you, I have gotten better in containing my emotions, I am an emotional wreck, but this time, absorbed pretty well. Just pause, and play, observe. 

After settling, I went to The Other Pavement To meet Pao, Brad, Ry, Niks and whoever can come. Brad has a gig here, which was great because I was looking for somewhere to hangout that night.

Event Poster / Sub Pop


My View. 

Bobop / Kingspade Spinning, He owns the place. 

The whole vibe of the place. 


Good old home-grown music, and a place I have never been before, with all vinyl plaques around and vintage feels. It was perfect. A few (what we thought were silent) loud honest comments about the current musician playing , nothing harsh just honest, not knowing the father was behind us the whole time. we do not think he heard us but.... All in good fun 😆. I met a fellow LAnuza surfer as well named Jom, he was the other Spinner. I havent seen him most probs 7 years already. pandemic plus Australia Journey = 7 years.


His music was great and writing was good. We failed to ask who he was.

Ry, Brad, me

Me, Nics, and Bobop, the owner of Pavement

Brad doing his set.

Spinning Jinner!

The chill vibe of the pavement

Me, Nics, and Ry

Me, Ry, Brad and papaw, the legendary.

👊


After the Pave, Paolo wanted to close his house and studio at 12 midnight. Brad still wanted to stay and chill. I decided to go to Pao's place and see it as it is part of my Cebu memories, and it is such a local music scene iconic area. I was able to chill in the studio as well. Reminded me of my music days as a member of Mungkanghan (link here soon), Zubu drumbeaters, and Tribu Linga/ Lilila Performing Arts. 

DLV Studios


After DLV studios, we went back to The Other Pavement, but it was just a quick one. Brad still wanted to hang in Mandaue, Pao was obviously tired, and I have an early start tomorrow before I leave for Boracs. 

👊

The Next Day!15th of January. The most adventurous of randomness, I think. 

This day is travelling day for Boracay. Also, hens and bucks Night for both men and Ladies in the group. My family Including me mama, younger sis and her fam, and then eldest sis and her fam all leave for Boracs at 11Am, so they need to leave at 8am as the traffic is heavier than the biggest loser. I on the other hand has a flight at 3pm. hmm lotsa time, right?

The plan was, when they leave at 8am, I prep and leave maybe 830 - 9am. Now, I wanted to pack me bags, take a shower, have breakfast with me mama, and weigh my luggage before 9am. Well as you know, it became 9:40Am 🤣  

BUT... Let me tell you this and never ever doubt, EVERYTHING happens for a reason and things fall in place. If you ask, it shall be given, If you seek, you will find. And in saying that here it goes.... adventure begins. 

👊

Day 2 ( half a day only again)

So I woke up maybe around 7am or 730 AM Philippine time (of course). Did some walking around and some Bag checking. I slept on the floor as the leather couch felt uncomfortable. People questioned why but I didn't care. My 2 sisters and her fam and prepping to leave at 8AM. I had Breakfast a quick egg and rice meal, a coffee I forgot to drink and some socializing with the departing people.

 After a home alone type montage of everyone prepping and leaving, I was alone. and now 940 AM, I was about to book a Cab ride and my friend Nic messaged asking if my trip downtown has happened. One thing led to another and so we ended up having a deal that he will pick me up (Things have a way of falling into place with me all the time, God provides) 

So, after a bit of a debate, we decided to do a motor ride and not a car. 2 trips, one to Taboan to pick up some materials, then back home to pick up luggage and go to the airport. But the luggage fit infront of the Motorcycle and Wahlah.... it becomes 1 trip. We laughed, we rode, and off we went. 


here is the suitcase pushed in the front gap. 

👊


And then, few familiar feels along the way while riding to Taboan Downtown. 






It was good to see these places, I did not expect a quick paced tour back in time with the schedule I have in this trip but I was able to see a few things and this last minute motor ride was a cherry on top for less than 24 hours. 


So, we venture into Tabuan, a place where all your dried fish dreams come true. It is also the area where I can find my go to bead guy, I needed Simard to contact people, I needed local money so I can have funds for when I leave for Boracay and Pay off my friend Venny for what I owe him yesternight. 


Tabuan was short and quick, another Nostalgia hit me as this is where I get beads for my business. I met a few "wanteds" , familiar faces, and one who swindled me as well, but hey, water under the Dog gone "Mother Fathring" Bridge. So, I got what I needed, but ran out of money, so I went across a pawnshop that took 35 minutes to process and got the dough.

Before leaving, one of my favourite artists and shop opened and I got to do a snapshot. The legendry Kims! 

He too tried to live in the Aus, but his journey in life brought him back home. Good to catch up with this guy. 

So off we went to Mactan Island.


Here is the video, Quick POV ride from Capitol to Mactan Cebu, Phils.


Halfway to the journey, at the back of my friend's motorbike, I unintentionally shouted "Freak" 🫢😏🤬.. My friend heard and asked what was wrong, and I have realized that I left a very important thing back at the house. I forgot my Barong Tagalog. How am I going to show myself at the wedding without a Top on?

He offered to drive back, and I said No because it is too much. I also suggested to relax and have a bite at Seniang Lumpia house first and think while we eat. 

We arrive at Seniang, a familiar place as I use to eat there a few times when I dated someone who lived around the area. 






UGh!! Local, Greasy, Plant based sensation!!!!. Right after eating, we pay and we ask the owner a few questions. I asked her about one of his grandsons, Kev. He and I are not close, but he was part of the people I hanged out with when I visited my former date here. It connected to her one way or another and the Owner, Seniang enjoyed our conversation, we ended up asking her for advice in finding entourage apparel for rent. 

She directed us to "Faith's" but pronounced locally so it came out as "Peyts".. And so. we venture around the block to find a "Faith" and couldn't find any. We eventually find a small corner shop with some gowns and suits and decided we just go there instead. Low and behold it was "Pette's" 😅😅😅🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂 We judged Lola Seniang thinking she locally pronounced Faith, but it was literally Pette's 🤣. That was a fun good laugh. I found the perfect Barong suit, Paid, left my ID and off we go. 

A quick bird's eye view of Senyang and Pette's Wedding and Event Concepts

😂

This adventure was so great and quick and so many things happened. My Friend Nic said that this was one of his most random adventures good laugh, good food, good vibes. 

So, we arrive at the airport, we part ways and off I go to Boracay (Insert Boracay Link here)

The Boracay Trip will be a separate Blog with the link Here (insert same link) 

👊

Day 3 in Cebu ( another Half Day)

I arrive from Boracay today in Cebu with my mother. This arrival is also funny, a sequel to the Pette's incident. 

👊


DAY 4 a day of All Sorts 

(This Portion of the Blog is a work in Progress, but have decided to publish so the pictures can be seen)

This Day is a day of so many happenings, I mean, half days were a handful of happenings, imagine a whole day! This Day is divided into 4 Parts!
👊

Day 4.1 - A Day with Czhan Pods














👊

Day 4.2 - A quick Visit from Legendary Aframe Surf shop, the surf dreams creator.





















👊

Day 4.3 - A quickie with The Queen, 9A







A quick visit in Habagat outdoor shop, A brand that is staple in all outdoor experiences in Cebu. 


Cebu street art will always be nostalgic and beautiful to me, these characters were part of my growth as an artist. 

👊

Day 4.4 - Dinner with My Aunt, Mom, Cousin, Cousin in Law and Nephews


The following Pictures were snippets of the visit.





The niece I didn't know I had 😅🫢

👊

 Day 4.5 - A Quick Pass by in Draft Punk, A place close to Heart


Duane and Isser at Draft Punk. already an epic night with them there. 




Friends and cousin, Ry, Earls, and Vans.

This was a good night, good music, good people, good place, Good Vibe. You definitely should come to visit this place when you are in Cebu City. 

👊

Day 5 (another Half Day) - Banks, random sightings of people, and a Last Coffee session













(More to be edited)

Goodbye Cebu City!

👊

No comments:

Post a Comment

Having 111 Possessions, My 7-year Mission

Owning 111 Items in life as a hoarder and an artist.  During my traditional Holy Week trip to Bantayan Island, Cebu Philippines, I came acro...